Sony Reveals New ZV-1 and FDR-AX43 Compact 4K Handycam® Vlog-Tastic Cameras
Sony’s new cameras lean heavily towards to the vlogging community with their features and functions. The ZV-1 presents a freshly produced concept that we’re told addresses the needs of video content creators, whilst the AX43 arrives as a new compact 4K Handycam with advanced image stabilisation.
The ZV-1 Vlog Camera
The ZV-1 lands as a light, ‘all-in-one’ camera and the first of its kind from the Sony imaging stable, blending intuitive features with strong imaging tech. At first glance, it may well appear as a version of the popular Sony RX100, but it’s been designed from the ground up to perfectly meet the needs of vloggers everywhere. The sensor and lens may well be familiar, but the body, controls, audio and rear screen are all brand new and nicely optimised for vlogging.
Yann Salmon Legagneur, Director of Product Marketing, Digital Imaging, Sony Europe, said: “Sony’s new ZV-1 was purpose-built to meet the needs and demands of today’s video creators. This camera is the result of direct feedback from our extended community who do not want to compromise with hybrid products, so we have designed this new model for those who put content creation first. It features an innovative design and introduces many new technologies, settings and modes that allow creators to make content in ways they have never been able to before. The ZV-1 aims to let the subject shine in any environment. Every single feature is optimised for any type of creator’s daily vlogging.”
Tech-wise, the ZV-1 houses a 1.0-type stacked Exmor RS® CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip and 24-70mm F1.8-2.8 ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T large-aperture lens, which promises to deliver rich bokeh.
The camera will lock onto and track subjects with a good amount of accuracy by applying Sony’s renowned autofocus system. It also includes the latest-gen BIONZ X™ image processor with front-end LSI which should give high resolution along with low noise for great image quality. The ZV-1 packs versatile audio options and is Sony’s first compact camera with a side-opening Vari-angle LCD touchscreen, making it easier to create selfie-style angles. Other notable features include 4K movie recording & in-body image stabilisation.
- Background Bokeh switch
- Super Slow-Motion
- Real-time Eye Auto Focus [AF]
- Face Priority Auto Exposure [AE] function
- Directional 3-capsule Mic
- Compact and lightweight – approx. 294g / 105.5mm x 60.0mm x 43.5mm
- SteadyShot Stabilisaton [Promising 11 times better-than usual-stabilisation]
- 4K Movie Recording with full pixel readout
- Industry Standard 3.5mm Microphone Input
- Interval Shooting for Time-Lapse Video
- Super Slow-Motion [up to 1000fps]
- Live Streaming function
Not forgetting the new FDR-AX43 4K Handycam®, which boasts an in-built gimbal, balanced optical SteadyShot™ tech, for shooting smooth, quality video.
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot with in-built-gimbal
- ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T zoom lens with wide-angle of 26.8mm
- 20x optical zoom and Clear Image Zoom of 30x for 4K / 40x for HD
- 1/2.5-type Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor and BIONZ X™ image processing engine
- High-bitrate shooting [100Mbps for XAVC S™ 4K, 50Mbps for XAVC S HD]
- Fast Intelligent AF
- Microphone structure with three mic capsules sound gathering for advanced sound quality
- Flip-screen for vlogging, selfie-style
- Long battery life [Up to 235 mins continuous recording time with the supplied battery]
- New Highlight Movie Maker which creates short movies in-camera in 4K or HD resolution without any need for post-production editing
- Share MP4 movies on social media sites via smartphone
Pricing and Availability
The Vlog Camera ZV-1 will be available this June , priced at approximately £700.
The FDR-AX43 will be available in July , costing approximately £600.