Sigma Announce the 16mm F.14 for Sony and Hint New Line of Lenses
Sigma has announced that they will be working on their next range of lenses for the Sony system, starting with the 16mm. This makes for very exciting times as it’s another strong indicator that the mirrorless market is the place to be. But we’ll save the Mirrorless vs DSLR discussion for another time. For now, let’s look at the company’s latest news
Making this move will causing quite a stir amongst Sony users as they won’t need to use adapters to use Sigma’s impressive glass. With that being said, let’s look at Sigma’s 16mm F1.4.
The new SIGMA 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary is the world’s first interchangeable lens for mirrorless Sony E-mount cameras in the APS-C format to offer a 24mm focal length [35mm equivalent] and F1.4 brightness. The lens for Micro Four Thirds offers a 32mm focal length [35mm equivalent] with the same f-number of 1.4. This is the large-diameter wide-angle lens for which mirrorless camera users have been waiting for.
Developed to feature a lightweight, compact package for everyday use, SIGMA DN lenses for mirrorless cameras deliver impressive performance covering the key focal lengths. The new lens builds on the success of the 30mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary, which SIGMA released in 2016 as the first in a new series of prime lenses for mirrorless cameras. The 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary also combines F1.4 brightness with high-end optical performance.
Sharing its development concept with the SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary, the 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary features a lens structure with 16 elements in 13 groups and includes the finest materials. This lens effectively minimises optical aberrations and offers superb resolution at wide-open aperture and throughout the aperture range. The optical design and stepping motor deliver smooth autofocus during video shooting, while the mount features a special sealing for a dust- and splash-proof design.
About the lens name
SIGMA lenses with “DC” in the name are designed for optimal performance on cameras with APS-C image sensors. When a DC lens is used with a camera with a full-frame image sensor, vignetting will occur. Photographers are advised to adjust image area settings for optimal image results. SIGMA lenses with “DN” in the name are designed for optimal performance on cameras with a short flange back distance.
- A new system for mirrorless cameras
Over the years, SIGMA has built an extensive line-up of bright prime lenses ranging from wide-angle to telephoto. Now, for mirrorless cameras, SIGMA is developing a range of interchangeable lenses that feature a lightweight, compact package for convenient daily shooting while delivering high performance and covering the key focal lengths.
Released in 2016 as the first of a new series of prime lenses for mirrorless cameras, the 30mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary combined F1.4 brightness with top-level optical performance. To achieve this low f-number in a large-diameter Contemporary lens, SIGMA took on a wide variety of challenges, leveraging its latest optical design technologies, incorporating updated video capabilities and utilising in-camera digital correction to further improve the lens’ optical quality. While prioritising optical performance, SIGMA developed a lightweight, compact package with steady AF that is truly easy to operate. Like the 30mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary, the 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary features SIGMA’s latest design technologies to offer F1.4 brightness while minimizing optical aberrations. The first in this SIGMA series of prime lenses for mirrorless cameras was the standard prime 30mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary, now followed by the wide-angle prime 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary. Going forward, SIGMA will add a telephoto lens to the series, making it a new and complete system for mirrorless camera users.
Also, the SIGMA Art line includes three lenses for mirrorless cameras that cover a range of photographic needs: 19mm F2.8 DN | Art, 30mm F2.8 DN | Art, and 60mm F2.8 DN | Art. These lenses require no digital processing to correct for optical aberrations, instead using the optical system to minimize them
- A bright prime lens is a great way to experience the essence of the art of photography. Simply select a focal length that matches the image and enjoy complete control of the depth of field.
The 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary is the world’s first interchangeable lens for mirrorless Sony E-mount cameras in the APS-C format to offer a 24mm focal length [35mm equivalent] and F1.4 brightness. The lens for Micro Four Thirds offers a 32mm focal length [35mm equivalent] with the same bright F1.4 aperture. This is the large-diameter wide-angle lens for which mirrorless camera users have been waiting.
- With 16 elements in 13 groups, the optical system features a multitude of high-tech and high-end components, including three FLD glass elements, two SLD glass elements, and two moulded glass aspherical elements. This optical system minimizes optical aberrations and ensures impressive resolution at wide-open aperture and throughout the aperture range. In particular, the two aspherical lens elements have ultra-high-precision surfaces polished to tolerances under 10 nanometres, minimizing the onion ring bokeh effect that some aspherical elements produce and ensuring clear image quality throughout the frame. Also, the structure of the optical system gently bends light to minimize sagittal coma flare and deliver optimal optical performance from the centre of the frame to the edges. The result is a smooth, round bokeh effect with ample light volume throughout the frame.
● The stepping motor delivers excellent autofocus with quiet performance.
The optical design and stepping motor deliver smooth autofocus during video shooting. The lens design fully accommodates the Fast Hybrid AF of Sony E-mount cameras for super-fast autofocus functionality. Using face recognition AF results in consistent autofocusing on faces, even as the subjects move.
● Dust- and splash-proof design
The mount features a special sealing to make the lens an excellent choice in a wide variety of conditions.
● Large lens hood [supplied] to keep out harmful rays
The lens hood cuts harmful rays that can negatively affect photographs while also minimizing reflectivity within the hood itself. The hood also features a rubber construction and a non-slip groove to make it easy to hold in a variety of shooting situations.
● Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
Available Mount Conversion Service
The Mount Conversion Service allows users to change mounts between Sony E-mount and Micro Four Thirds [this is a chargeable service].
● Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system: A1
● 9-blade diaphragm
● Brass bayonet mount
● Year of release marked for user convenience
Pricing and availability: TBA