first Nikon Z f/2.8 Pro Lens Announced: NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S
Nikon has unveiled the very first of their f/2.8 pro lenses for the Nikon Z series of full-frame mirrorless cameras; the NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S.
A pro lens with a compact frame, high-level optics, and comprehensive weather sealing throughout.
Designed to perform well for shooting both stills or video, this lens promises exceptional sharpness across the frame with close-up performance surpassing that of any full-frame 24–70 mm lens available today. Bold words, indeed.
The new NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S is fully weather-sealed and Nikon state that it’s ready to withstand the rigours of daily professional use. Zoom and focus rings are said to adjust with just the right amount of torque, with more shooting parameters being able to be controlled directly from the lens than at any time before.
Tim Carter, Senior Product Manager, Nikon UK, told PhotoBite: “If you can only take one lens with you, the NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S offers the ideal combination of compact build and pro performance. Every component of a scene is rendered with lifelike clarity, and the full weather-sealing readies this lens for any location.”
Summary of key features [from Nikon official press release]
- Ultra-sharp: superb edge-to-edge performance. Exceptional close-up performance (minimum focus distance of 0.38 m).
- Advanced optical design: 17 elements in 15 groups with anti-reflective
ARNEOand Nano Crystal coatings.
- Customisable control ring: manual focusing (default), silent aperture control (great for iris transitions during video recording), or exposure compensation.
- L-Fn (lens function) button: assign up to 21 different functions. From AF lock to metering, bracketing, and more.
- OLED information display panel: quickly confirm aperture, focus distance, exact focal length, and depth of field.
- Workhorse: tough, compact build with extensive sealing to protect from dust and moisture.
Pricing and availability
Sales are expected to start in April 2019 with an RRP price of £2,199.00
Head to Nikon’s website for more info from the brand.