DJI Osmo Mobile 3 Revealed: New Foldable Design with Simple Switching from Portrait to Landscape
DJI has announced the latest version of its line of smartphone gimbal stabilisers, the Osmo Mobile 3. It features a new compact foldable design including locking mechanisms for more effortless transportation. The new gimbal no longer obstructs the charging and audio ports, boasts automatic portrait to landscape switching, and also supports several smart features that can be found in the DJI Mimo app.
No sooner have we announced the Benro 3XS Lite smartphone stabiliser, than we hear from DJI with news of their latest iteration of the most excellent Osmo Mobile stabiliser. It was just last year when DJI delivered the second generation of their gimbal for smartphones, the Osmo Mobile 2, which gave us longer battery life and a host of new smart features. So what can we expect to find from the new version that’s 1. better than Benro’s [less expensive] offering, and 2. enough to encourage us to upgrade?
The main selling point of the new Osmo Mobile is the compact foldable design. It’s worth noting that the foldable design is not a new feature in the world of smartphone gimbals. There are already products out there which include this, with two examples being the MOZA Mini-S and the FeyiuTech VLOG Pocket.
DJI tells us that, thanks to its foldable design and locking mechanisms, the new Osmo Mobile 3 is the most travel-friendly mobile gimbal the company has produced, to date. Offering [up to] 15 hours of battery life, [same as the Osmo Mobile 2] the new design now makes important controls controllable with just one hand.
Due to buttons, which have been helpfully placed on the handle, users are promised the ability to control the gimbal’s movement and access useful features with speed and ease.
Quick Roll Rotates the orientation from portrait to landscape by pressing the Mode [M] button twice without the need to remove the mobile device.
The redesigned Osmo Mobile removes obstructions from the charging and audio ports, too, allowing for simple connection to charge the device or to plug in external microphones. Win!
A trigger helps move the gimbal by locking its orientation, rotating the gimbal for selfies, and even re-centring when tracking a subject.
Using ActiveTrack, users can give the trigger a single tap and the Osmo Mobile 3 will begin tracking while keeping the subject centred within the frame. Zooming in and out with the dedicated zoom slider on the side of the stabiliser is also possible with the option to customise zoom speed based on personal preference.
DJI Mimo App: Key features
The new Osmo Mobile 3 works with the DJI Mimo app via Bluetooth 5.0 and gives a variety of preprogrammed modes and features. Including:
- Story Mode: The app features a host of preset music, video transitions, and filters. Users can choose one of 13 templates and Mimo will handle the camera movement. After shooting, the app automatically generates a short edited video, ready to be shared instantly.
- Gesture Control: This function can snap a selfie without pressing any buttons. Once Gesture Control is enabled, show a “peace sign” or put up your palm and Osmo Mobile 3 will begin a photo timer countdown.
- Sport Mode: Similar to the useful feature from the DJI Ronin series, Sport mode increases the response speed of the device to keep up when shooting fast-moving scenes.
- ActiveTrack 3.0: DJI’s image recognition and deep learning algorithms allow Osmo Mobile 3 to recognize and follow selected subjects with a simple tap on the screen.
- TimeLapse & MotionLapse: With MotionLapse, users can add the dynamic element of movement to the Timelapse by setting points for the camera to move to.
- HyperLapse: Users can add movement by manually moving Osmo Mobile 3. Additionally, HyperLapse not only supports real-time Electronic Image Stabilization [EIS] but also ActiveTrack 3.0.
- Panorama: Get a wider perspective with panorama mode. Users can choose between 3×3 and 180° panorama modes.
- Slow Motion: Available as 4X or 8X Slow Motion. This is most likely dependent on a type of smartphone used.
Pricing and availability
The new Osmo Mobile 3 is available to buy today. today directly from DJI online and also from flagship stores and retail partners including Apple, starting at £99 for the standard version which includes Osmo Mobile 3, a wrist strap, storage pouch and anti-slip pads or £119 for the Osmo Mobile 3 combo which includes all the components of the standard version along with the Osmo Grip Tripod and the Osmo Carrying Case. Additionally, Osmo Mobile 3 is covered under the DJI Care Refresh for an additional £9.
For detailed information on this service please head to DJI’s dedicated pages HERE
We are producing a comparison video between the new DJI Osmo Mobile and the Benro 3XS Lite in the coming days. until then, watch DJI’s official launch video for the Osmo Mobile 3, below: