The Nikon Macro 105mm F2.8 & 50mm F2.8 Join the Mirrorless Family
Nikon introduces the first two macro lenses to join the Z family. The impressively lightweight NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is a professional S-line macro lens capable of stunningly lifelike depth and detail. The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is a compact, lightweight, and versatile lens that’s ideal for starting macro photographers who want to shoot vibrant close-ups.
With its 1:1 reproduction ratio, smooth focusing, and sweet rendering abilities, the professional NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is a master of the life-size shot. Optimised for macro shooting in stills or video, its medium-telephoto angle of view also makes it a superb lens for detailed portraiture: sharpness and contrast are incredible, and so is bokeh. Control is precise and flexible, and photographers can reverse the focus direction of this lens, which is an advantage when working in a mixed production environment.
#CreateYourLight: hands-on with the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S
“I was fortunate enough to get to work with the new NIKKOR Z 105mm macro lens whilst shooting the Create Your Light campaign with Nikon. I was completely blown away by its performance, particularly in lower light. Definitely a staple lens for any food photographer who values shallow depth of field, focusing speed, and beautiful bokeh—because we all love those beautiful bokeh balls!”Donna Crous, food photographer and Nikon Europe Ambassador
“The long-awaited 105 mm macro lens brings astonishingly beautiful macro performance to the Z system and is a perfect choice for both professionals and macro enthusiasts. Its smaller and more affordable sibling has a lot to offer too: the new 50 mm macro lens is ideal if you want to start shooting true macro images. And if you simply want a versatile 50 mm lens that will also let you capture incredible close-ups, then this is it.”Rob Harmon, Senior Commercial Lead, Nikon Northern Europe
Summary of key features: NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S
- Professional f/2.8 mid-telephoto macro lens: S-Line next-dimension optical design. Smooth, silent multi-focusing system.
- Lifelike images with remarkable depth: the wide Z mount and fixed f/2.8 rounded 9-blade aperture enable perfectly rounded, natural-looking bokeh.
- Fast, flawless focusing: sharpness is superb from close-up to infinity. Colour fringing is dramatically reduced, allowing the AF system to find focus with incredible speed and accuracy.
- Beautifully clear: Nikon’s anti-reflective ARNEO and Nano Crystal coatings combat ghosting and flare. In-lens Vibration Reduction (VR) combines with in-camera VR for steady handheld shots even in low light.
- Close-up precision: the minimum focus distance is just 0.29 m and the AF focus limiter allows rapid acquisition of subjects from 0.29–0.50 m. In MF, you can adjust the focus throw to match your preferred way of working.
- Macro video: benefit from quiet AF and smooth, stable aperture control. Focus breathing is all but eliminated so you can shift focus without affecting the shot’s angle of view.
- Nikon versatility: you can reverse the focus direction of this lens, and it accepts the same 62 mm screw-on filters as the renowned AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 105mm.
- Built to work: the mount and all moving parts are sealed to keep dust and moisture out. Nikon’s fluorine coating repels water, dust, and dirt.
The new NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is a great portable lens capable of bringing out the beauty in even the most ordinary subjects. From tasty food photography to top shots of flowers, photographers can capture super-sharp life-size [1:1] macro images and striking close-ups of small subjects and details with ease. Focus is fast and sharp, even when the front of this macro lens is just 5.6 cm away from a subject! Users can also take advantage of the classic 50 mm focal length and natural perspective to shoot anything from portraits to street scenes.
Summary of key features: NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8
- Awesome macro shots: markings on the lens barrel clearly indicate whether shooting at a 1:4, 1:2, or 1:1 [life-size] magnification ratio.
- Brilliant everyday shots: take advantage of the classic 50 mm focal length and natural perspective to shoot anything from portraits to street scenes.
- Tack-sharp up close: a minimum focus distance of just 0.16 m enables sharp focus even when the front of this macro lens is just 5.6 cm away from a subject! In-camera VR keeps shots steady.
- Bring out your subject: superior optics and the f/2.8 rounded 9-blade aperture enable beautiful bokeh.
- Focus limit switch: the AF focus limit switch lets the lens focus more quickly on subjects within a 0.16–0.30 m range.
- Compact and lightweight: this lens is easy to handle and balances beautifully on both Z series full-frame and DX-format cameras.
- 75 mm in DX crop: when used on a Z series DX mirrorless camera, this lens offers a 75 mm angle of view. Great for portraits or tighter crops of small subjects when shooting macro.
- Precise, easy control: control aperture, ISO, and more via the silent control ring. Instantly switch between manual and autofocus via the lens.
- Protective coating: Nikon’s fluorine coating protects the front of the lens and makes it easy to wipe the surface clean. Perfect if your creative playground is outside.
Pricing & Availability
Availability from the 24th of June 2021
NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S – £999.00 UK | NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 – £649.00 UK