RØDE NTG5 Broadcast Shotgun Mic revealed
RØDE Microphones has revealed the all-new NTG5 shotgun mic, which lands as an addition to their much-loved range of trusted shotgun microphones.
Featuring a groundbreaking acoustic port design promising to deliver superior progressive wave interference, ultra-lightweight construction, and crystal clear, broadcast-grade sound, we’re told the NTG5 will set a new standard for the range which is perfect for the professional user.
The new RODE NTG5 comes complete with various accessories, making up a location recording kit. Inside you’ll find the new WS10 windshield, redesigned pistol grip and other accessories, which make it ready to be taken into the field right out of the box.
What’s in the box
1 x NTG5 Microphone
1 x PG2-R Pistol Grip
1 x PG2-R Pro-Cable [Mogami]
1 x Foam Windshield
1 x Fur Windshield
1 x RM5 Clip
1 x Zip Bag
- Revolutionary acoustic design: delivering a natural, uncoloured sound
- Extremely lightweight [just 76g], short shotgun microphone [just 203mm]: making it far easier to handle on set than other shotgun mics, especially when used on a boom
- Tailored frequency response and very low self-noise of just 10dbA: making it ideal for location recording, professional filmmaking, and other critical recording situations
- Highly directional super-cardioid polar pattern: and smooth off-axis response
- RF-bias technology and conformal coating: ensure superior performance in adverse weather conditions
- Comes in a complete location recording kit with windshield, pistol grip and other accessories: the NTG5 is ready to take into the field right out of the box
The first thing you’re likely to notice with the new NTG5 is the remarkable new body design. It has been thoroughly overhauled, with circular acoustic ports replacing the linear slots found in other shotgun mics. The design is the result of months of specialised acoustic testing that began during the development of the RODE TF5; the brand’s premium small-diaphragm condenser mic, that’s been designed in collaboration with the legendary engineer Tony Faulker.
The TF5’s capsule features a unique perforated acoustic vent design and this breakthrough lead RODE to completely reimagine the NTG5’s design, with acoustic perforations employed along the length of the microphone. The result is a shotgun mic that RODE tells us offers unmatched acoustic transparency and a natural, uncoloured sound that will sound superb in a wide variety of applications. The annular line tube technology intrinsic to the NTG5’s design sets it apart from all other microphones in its category and RODE is confident that this new microphone will take its place as a future industry standard.
Pricing and availability
The new RODE NTG5 shotgun mic will be available in December and will set you back £449 inc VAT [RRP}. See more on the current RODE mic range HERE.