Nikon Z 6 Essential Movie Kit Unveiled
Standing true to the statements of the Z 6 being a great choice for filmmakers, Nikon has announced its first mirrorless movie-making kit for videographers, the Nikon Z 6 Essential Movie Kit.
Carefully packaged with creative freedom in mind, the new kit promises to provide the essentials to get shooting quickly, with all the core instruments to make top-notch videos. The new kit, the likes of which we’ve seen launched in the US, [with the D850] in previous years, but not in the UK, promises to give filmmakers the freedom to customise additional elements to suit their personal choices and avoiding unnecessary extra cost and kit.
The star of the show in the new kit is the Nikon Z 6 mirrorless camera. Then there’s and FTZ Mount Adapter which allows for simple integration with a range of F-mount NIKKOR lenses that offer full-frame ultra-high-quality 4K video at high bit rates. In-camera five-axis optical Vibration Reduction [VR] works together with electronic VR for steady shooting, and Atomos open protocol is supported for easy integration of the included Atomos Ninja V recorder.
A firmware update will support Apple’s ProRes RAW recording from the camera’s RAW output when using the Atomos Ninja V, giving the greatest flexibility in grading; we expect to see this being released later this year.
The SmallRig quick-release camera cage has a top-mounting grip handle for smoother moving images and tracking with ease.
Summing up the appeal of the new kit, Robert Harmon, Senior Commercial Planning Manager, Nikon UK, said: “With the Nikon Z 6 Essential Movie Kit, Nikon is delivering a long-awaited solution for advanced and professional moving content creators who want to take advantage of the Nikon Z 6’s high-level video capabilities. As it focuses on the core needs of videographers, with no unnecessary accessories, it’s the ideal start-up kit to shape your personal video workflow with Nikon – and it has the advantage of our soon-to-be-released RAW recording capability, making it a future-proof investment.”
What’s in the box
- Nikon Z 6 camera body: 24.5 MP, 100-51200 ISO, full-pixel read-out 4K movie downsampled from 6k, up to 120 fps in FHD, 10-bit N-Log and timecode output, 8-bit internal recording with up to 144Mbps, in-camera slow-motion and time-lapse capabilities included.
- Nikon FTZ mount adapter: enables the use of NIKKOR F-mount lenses with no loss of quality, while other third party adapters enable the use of a wide range of cine lenses.
- Atomos Ninja V: flexible monitoring and recording in edit-ready ProRes and DNxHR formats.
- SmallRig quick-release camera cage: the built-in Manfrotto-compatible quick-release system allows you to switch between tripods and monopods in seconds.
- Nikon EN-EL 15b batteries: two rechargeable Li-ion batteries, ensuring you’re always ready to film the next scene.
- Coiled HDMI cable: supports high-speed HDMI 2.0 for 4Kp60 ProRes and RAW high-frame-rate recordings.
- 5200 mAh batteries: two batteries and a fast charger to keep the Atomos running on even the longest shoot.
- SmallRig handle for camera cage: top-mounting grip handle for easy tracking.
- SmallRig magic arm: mount the Atomos Ninja V to the camera cage with the magic arm clamp.
Pricing and availability
The Nikon Z 6 Essential Movie Kit is available for pre-order now and will start shipping from mid-September priced at £2,639 GBP.