Fujifilm X-A7 Unveiled: An Entry-Level Mirrorless Camera with 24.2MP & 4K Video
Fujifilm has announced their latest camera in the X-Series family; the compact and lightweight X-A7 mirrorless digital camera. See below for the full skinny.
Fujifilm’s X-Series family of cameras has been nothing short of a revelation in imaging terms, with many a photographer [and even some videographers] dropping their larger DSLRs in favour of the smaller, mirrorless marvels. This latest addition, the X-A7 is being presented as an ideal choice for photographers on the go, vloggers and content creators alike.
The new, entry-level, X-A7 houses a freshly developed 24.2MP APS-C sensor which uses copper wiring for high-speed data readout and phase-detection pixels across the entire sensor. This provides the camera with a very fast, accurate autofocus that’s said to be capable of quickly detecting and tracking eyes and faces, even in low light.
The X-A7 also boasts smooth 4K, high-speed video function and high-ISO capabilities that Fujifilm tells us have never before seen in this level of camera.
It is indeed unusual to find such advanced features crammed into such a compact camera body [that weighs just 320g]. The back of the new camera has a bright 3.5” 16:9 touchscreen LCD, which allows users to clearly see the live view even in strong daylight. The use of the vari-angle structure, a first for X Series cameras, means the monitor can be
pivoted in various angles.
The Portrait Enhancer mode, in combination with the Face/Eye AF, increases the quality and operability of taking selfies. Moreover, the newly-designed ‘Smart Menu’ allows for intuitive touchscreen operation so that even beginners can produce high-quality images easily.
Key features as listed in Fujifilm’s press release
- New 24.2MP APS-C CMOS image sensor uses copper wiring construction to achieve premium image quality and advanced AF performance
- The sensor features 8.5 times more phase-detection pixels across its surface than previous sensors. This has delivered a dramatic improvement in performance for Face/Eye Detection, when tracking moving subjects, and when focusing in low light
- The use of copper wiring reduces digital noise, providing approximately one stop improvement in image quality at high ISO levels compared to previous sensors
- A significant improvement in data readout speed enables a smooth frame rate of 30fps when recording 4K video, substantially reducing the rolling shutter effect, which typically occurs when recording fast-moving subjects.
- Large 3.5” 16:9 wide touchscreen LCD
- The display uses a new ‘Smart Menu’, allowing shooting settings to be changed easily and intuitively
- Quickly adjust settings such as brightness, degree of background blur, Film Simulations and aspect ratios with a tap on the LCD, while being able to see what the effect will be on screen in real time
- Display has the touch response performance equivalent to smartphones, to change menu items instinctively and simply
- The vari-angle display accommodates a wide range of shooting positions including high-angle, low-angle and self-portrait
- Aspect ratios supported include 3:2, 16:9, 1:1 and 4:3, newly-adopted in the X-A7
- Weighs just 320g – 455g with the kit lens ([XC15-45mmF3.5-5.6 OIS] attached
- Can shoot approx. 440 pictures per charge
- Advanced video performance and functions that cater to the growing demands for movie shooting
- The image sensor produces 4K [3820×2150] footage using data equal to 6K [6032×3392], which results in high-resolution video quality with lower noise and delivering smooth 4K video at up to 30fps with no crop
- Create movies in Full HD or HD, at up to 60p in full-screen 16:9 aspect ratio or the popular 1:1 square format for easy live-story posting on social media.
- ‘Countdown Video’ mode has been added, which is helpful when uploading videos to social media
- Videos are filmed for a pre-selected duration: 15, 30 or 60 seconds, with the remaining time for the clip appearing on the screen
- HD high-speed video capture at up to 4x speed easily produces epic slow-motion results of action
- Diverse shooting modes that help produce photography with a creative flair
- New [Bright Mode] feature has been added to the [Advanced SR Auto] function, letting the camera configure ideal settings to produce HDR and other options that create brighter and more vivid images in a single, one-touch operation
- Light Trail mode, added to the [Scene Position] selection, can be used to capture light trails of car headlights, for example, while checking the effect on the LCD in real-time.
- Enhanced connectivity for an easy link to smartphones and tablets
- The use of FUJIFILM Camera Remote [free app for smartphones and tablet devices] and improvements incorporated into the X-A7 have improved the connectivity and stability in wireless communications
- The X-A7 also supports wired communications with smartphones and tablet devices, useful when transferring large data, e.g. video, to such devices. Data is transferred approx. 8 times faster compared to wireless communications.
- Android: Requiring a USB type C to C or C to Micro B cable
- iOS: Requiring a USB type C to C or C to Lightning cable
See our image gallery of the Fujifilm X-A7 below
Pricing and availability
The X-A7 will be available at the end of October with an RRP
of £699. See more at Fujifilm’s website HERE