DJI FPV Revealed: Groundbreaking Dual Person Flying Experience Lands from the Drone Giant
Drone marketplace leaders, DJI, has announced breakthrough two-man drone technology with a unique single-handed control unit in the shape of the new DJI FPV.
DJI today reveals a completely new type of drone experience with an all-new intuitive, immersive flight experience that’s never been available in the consumer market… until now!
The new DJI FPV drone system provides a first-person view along with the high-speed performance of specialist racing drones, the cinematic camera effects achieved with traditional drones, the safety expected from DJI’s leading consumer drones and a [optional] single-handed motion controller that allows users to control the drone with hand movements alone.
The DJI FPV essentially creates a new drone category and produces new shooting opportunities for filmmakers, content creators and drone fans. DJI tells us that the new DJI FPV is as applicable for the pro-user as it is for the enthusiast and hobbyist.
The ecosystem within the DJI FPV includes the drone itself, goggles, a remote controller, and a new intuitive motion controller option that steers the drone based on the movement of your hand. The new drone from DJI boasts high-performance motors which, as we’re told, will produce ‘incredible’ speeds, along with a new and intuitive user interface for greater control.
In its essence, the new FPV system allows the pilot a view from the drone’s perspective; all in low-latency high definition. This is made possible due to ‘O3’, the third iteration of DJI’s proprietary OcuSync tech, which has been designed to capture super-slick and stable 4K video at 60 fps with RockSteady electric image stabilisation.
DJI FPV Key Features
- 2 person flying experience
- 4K 60 fps @ 120 Mbps camera on a single-axis gimbal
- 4X Slow Motion in 1080p and 120 fps
- Acceleration of 0-62 mph in just two seconds
- Max speed 87 mph
- Latest in HD transmission technology
- O3 transmission system
- 10 km transmission range
- Standard low-latency HD mode: 1440x810p in either 60 fps with a wider 142° Field of View [FOV], or 50 fps with 150° FOV with latency as low as ≤ 40 ms
- Smooth mode: 1440×810p 120 fps with 142° FOV or 100 fps at 150° FOV but with decreased latency of ≤ 28 ms
- Audience mode: Connects up to eight additional Goggle sets to the pilot’s view
Ferdinand Wolf, Creative Director, DJI Europe, said: “DJI has been redefining what drones can do since our company began in 2006, and as we celebrate our 15-year anniversary this year, we honour that heritage of innovation by redefining what drone flight can be with the DJI FPV. Right out of the box, the DJI FPV combines the best available technology for a hybrid drone like no other. It can fly like a racer, hover like a traditional drone, accelerate like a homebuilt project and stop faster than any of them. The DJI FPV lets the world experience the absolute thrill of immersive drone flight without being intimidated by the technology or spending hours building a system from scratch. We can’t wait for the world to try it.”
The new drone system from DJI offers three different flight modes, which have been designed for various skill levels and to help pilots to get accustomed to the system. The DJI FPV’s advanced safety features include a new Emergency Brake and Hover feature to help make flying safer and less intimidating for new users, as well as DJI’s list of standard safety solutions, including GPS-based geofencing to advise pilots of airspace restrictions and potential hazards and to automatically prevent drones from flying near certain high-risk locations, such as airports.
DJI FPV Flight Modes
The new DJI FPV drone is the first integrated FPV drone that allows pilots from beginners to pro pilots to select from various flight modes to suit their level of skill:
- Normal [N] Mode: In N mode operation, the DJI FPV operates similar to other DJI drones, hovering in place with the use of GPS and/or visual positioning systems [VPS] on the bottom of the drone. The most approachable flight mode, N mode allows for obstacle detection sensors on the front to be activated to warn when obstacles are near and slow down. Pilots are tasked with manoeuvring the drone away from any detected obstacles.
- Sport [S] Mode: This new hybrid blend of M and N mode gives some of the dynamic movement capabilities that come with M mode along with some of the key safety features of N mode. S mode is the step between the three modes and produced to give pilots more room to explore their skills as they get accustomed to the drone.
- Manual [M] Mode: Allowing the user to take full control of the drone, the M mode is designed for more experienced users. While in M mode, all sensors and hovering features are disabled.
Pilots of the new DJI FPV drone can be assured of a range of safety features that make for a memorable experience along with a safe one, too. A dedicated Emergency Brake and Hover feature is available in all flying modes and stops the drone dead, bringing it to a hover at any time during your flight.
Obstacle detection sensors can be activated while operating in N mode will alert users when objects get close and automatically slow the drone’s speed. The Visual Positioning Sensors [VPS], along with an auxiliary light on the bottom, assist in smooth launch and landings. Failsafe Return to Home is another important feature that will bring the drone back to its home point automatically with a press of a button or if the transmission is lost. What’s more, the AirSense ADS-B receiver system notifies the pilot when traditional aircraft such as aeroplanes or helicopters equipped with ADS-B transmitters are nearby.
Updated DJI FLY App for Faster Training
The DJI FPV applies the latest version of the DJI Fly app which includes detailed tutorials on how to operate the DJI FPV. The newly developed DJI Virtual Flight App is a free simulator app that familiarises new users with drone flying movements in an easy, fun and risk-free scenario. The simulator allows pilots to fly the DJI FPV drone in various settings using the dedicated controller.
DJI Care Refresh
For an additional charge, the DJI Care Refresh 1-Year Plan is available for the DJI FPV drone system and offers complete coverage as well as up to two replacement units within a single year.
The two-year plan will give three replacement units in a two year period and prolongs the original warranty period by a year.
For a list of options, head to the dedicated DJI page HERE
Pricing and Availability
The all-new DJI FPV is available for purchase from today from store.dji.com and from DJI’s preferred retail partners.
The DJI FPV can be ordered in a number of options. The standard DJI FPV Combo includes the FPV drone, remote control 2, FPV Goggles V2, all required cables and a single battery and comes in at £1,249 [RRP].
The DJI FPV Fly More Kit, which is also available, includes two extra Intelligent Flight Batteries and the dedicated charging hub for £259 [RRP].
The [optional] Motion Controller is sold separately and can be picked up for £139 [RRP].
You can find full info at DJI’s super-duper site HERE – Team PhotoBite will be rolling out a review of the new DJI FPV in the very near future, so keep em’ peeled. In the meantime, check out the official intro video from DJI below.